Thursday, January 6, 2011

My Black Swan Review


photo courtesy of Fox Searchlight



Ok due to insistent public demand.....heheheh... not really! ....But you say review, I review. I didn't write any spoilers, so spoiler haters you are safe to read this

First thing, don't ever watch this film drunk or don't get drunk while watching. If you don't want to believe me and still do it, I will just say "I told you so" when you find yourself needing to run to the nearest restroom to throw up because there's a lot of camera movements. But then you get used to it eventually. At first I thought it was handheld, but then I realized it was too steady to be a handheld and it takes a lot of skills to follow all those dancing, and bending and spinning.... So I got curious, I googled and found out that the director, Darrren Aronofsky's trademark is using the "Snorricam" a camera that is rigged to the body of the actor making their movement seem steady when everything else around them is not.

The grainy effect of the film, the dark lighting, the sound effects and music is a perfect combination of what the director was trying to achieve or make us percieve. From the very beginning you can see and feel the promise of a great Psychological Thriller that is about to give you the entertainment you are so looking for, if you are into this kind of genre. The colors, sound and all those montages give you a piece of what's going on inside the Nina's mind making you feel like you're part of it.

Weirdness and shock value? If you use me as a gauge, from a scale of 1-5....5 being the highest, I give it a 3....I've got a lot of OMG moments throughout the film but being a fan of foreign and indie films, I have seen worse. And the fact that I said "Oh my god!" instead of eeewww! yuck or gross is assurance enough that it is done in good taste....I said if you use me as a gauge. So if you don't trust my preference think twice before watching this. That is my disclaimer so don't blame me if you were grossed out or if you get too uncomfortable and you get nightmares after watching.

Natalie Portman did an outstanding job proving herself a good actress. It's nice to see Winona Ryder back on screen once again. They look so much alike so I'm not sure if Aronofsky did that on purpose to emphasize what Nina may possibly become.

Over all I give it 4 1/2 stars because Psychological Thriller is my favorite genre and this is psycho thriller done well. My rating for this movie is "Rated NE" not for everyone....For those who have seen it and are about to see it, post your comments. I'd like to find out if you enjoyed it like I did.

No comments: